Monday 3 May 2021

The upsides of lockdown in Scotland

 



I have repeatedly thought how blessed I am to live on a smallholding in pleasant rural surroundings. If I’d been through lockdown in a town flat, I’d probably have gone stir crazy.

Being obliged to remain in one place rather than ranging far and wide, especially at holiday time, persuaded me to take a more detailed interest in my immediate surroundings.





For no very obvious reason, I settled on hoverflies, joined the reporting group on Facebook and learned enough to identify thirty-seven local species. Then, of course, I forgot a lot of what I’d learned over four winter months when there were none at all to be seen. It’s beginning to come back to me now we’re well into Spring.



I spent more time gardening, with mixed results. I suppose I learned more about what won’t grow at this altitude and latitude, and at last got time to experiment with a few plants I’ve long wanted to try, particularly Lychnis chalcedonica, also known as Maltese Cross, which tradition says was brought to Europe by the Knights of Malta. My squash has not been a huge success though. I really suspect the growing season up here (at 600 feet) is just too short for it.


I also decided to learn Italian on Duolingo. I’m not sure when, or even if, I’ll have the opportunity to use this new skill, but I have usually found learning something new to be a pleasure, and this has been no exception.

Not strictly a consequence of lockdown, but the imposition of high US tariffs on imported Scotch seems to have diverted quite a few nice single malts on to the domestic market at discounted prices. I still can’t afford a lot, which is just as well, but I can’t say that the odd sip of an evening hasn’t helped lockdown pass more easily.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you like to comment on this post?